Speciality Drinks Group
Old & Rare Spirits Buyer
Park Royal, London
Apply by 30 September 2022
If you think you have what it takes, please contact us now at [email protected]
About Speciality Drinks Group
Speciality Drinks is the premier supplier of whiskies, spirits and champagnes to the on trade. We work with more than 1,000 of the best bars, restaurants and hotels across the UK and overseas, from the smallest pop-up bars to large international groups.
Job Title: Old & Rare Spirits Buyer
Department: Old & Rare Spirits
Line Manager: Old & Rare Spirits Manager
Contract Term: Permanent, Full-time
Contracted Hours: Monday to Friday 9am – 6pm
This equates to a 40 hour working week, a high degree of flexibility is required in this role. (Will include working late in the evenings and at weekends).
Company Information - The Whisky Exchange Group
Founded in 1999 by Sukhinder and Rajbir Singh, Speciality Drinks Group is a fast-growing and world-renowned international spirits company. It was one of the first multi-channel, multi-market global drinks distributors and is a leader in its field. Now made up of four group companies, it is an independently managed business and a recent addition to the Pernod Ricard Group since November 2021.
We pride ourselves on our imagination, creativity and ability to source and sell fantastic spirits across the globe. We love what we do and we would love you to come and join us.
Overall objective of Role
An exciting opportunity to join our old and rare team. You must have a good understanding of the whisky category and an interest in old and rare whiskies and fine spirits.
We are the largest sellers of premium spirits in the UK and across the globe. We buy directly from main suppliers in the UK, to support this we buy old and rare products through a multitude of channels around the world. As we are a key player in this market, we must keep a good stock holding and are investing in acquiring the right bottles at the right price, always looking into the future and at market trends.
The team currently consists of 5 people including a Private Client Sales Director based in Hong Kong.
You will work alongside the current buyer’s and learn all aspects of old and rare buying including but not limited to:
• What defines highly collectable bottles.
• What makes old whisky & spirits so special.
• Market trends in terms of what are the bottles of the future.
• All elements on identifying fakes.
• You will regularly be involved in sampling very special old liquid.
You will be buying from a variety of sources from around the world and will therefore, need a high degree of flexibility to work at odd hours and sometimes on weekends, (when working overtime, you will be compensated with time off in lieu).
Duties and Responsibilities
• Reporting to your Line Manager
• Work closely with your Line Manager to understand requirements of the business on Old & Rare purchasing and pricing.
• Check what the product requirements are of the sales teams
• Find required bottles from a variety of sources from around the world
• Stock Control
• Assessing purchase prices
• Assessing future trends and market analysis
• Schedule Auctions Calendar
• Building strong relationships with dealers/contacts
• Quality control: Checking items conditions (e.g. leakage, fake products, etc.)
• Liaise with Showroom Team and Warehouse Team when receiving goods
• Part of the team to curate Whisky Show: Old & Rare
• Liaising with accounts to make sure all payment for purchases are done on time
• Ensure due diligence is carried out on all new suppliers prior to buying.
Support (when colleagues on holiday)
• Support the auction team with valuable insights, assist team members in checking and identifying fake bottles.
• Purchase orders
• Buying from walk-in seller/private-customers, follow company due diligence and standard procedures.
• Liaising with Finance Team to ensure payments are issued on time
• Organising and scheduling shipments from the UK and overseas
• Import delivery schedules.
• Old & Rare Team
• Old & Rare Showroom / Warehouse
• Supply Chain
• Finance Team
Key skills and Knowledge
• Very strong organisation skills.
• Flexibility to work weekends and evenings when required.
• Ability to work independently.
• The ability to multi-task in a time-sensitive environment and prioritise.
• Clear, calm thinking with a strategic and focussed work ethic.
• Excellent attention to detail when collating large amounts of information.
• Impeccable written and verbal communication skills to ensure clear messaging between ‘The Old & Rare Spirits Buying Team’ and its contacts.
• A passion for events and the drinks industry ideal.
• Whisky and premium spirits experience from retail or events.
• A passion for Old & Rare Spirits.
• Spirits, liqueur knowledge and wine knowledge.
• Good presentation skills.
Qualifications and Experience
• Numerate and literate.
• PC/IT literate, confident on MS software; excel (intermediate), word, power point, email.
• Strong organisational skills.
• Self- motivated and results driven.
• Flexible, reliable and hardworking.
• Able to communicate well with others and strong interpersonal skills.
• Commercially astute.
• Presentable and professional at all times.
A training plan will encompass the following to ensure effectiveness of the employee, and to meet our safety standards:
• Manual handling
• ERP system (Defacto)
• Any other in-house systems as required.
About The Whisky Exchange Group
The Whisky Exchange (TWE), founded in 1999, is an independently managed business and a recent addition to the Pernod Ricard Group since November 2021.
TWE is a trusted, premium focused, omni-channel spirits specialist sharing its passion and knowledge with consumers around the world reaching more than 80 M£ net sales and employing more than 200 people. It operates via various channels:
- a multi-award-winning website selling over 5000 whiskies, spirits, liqueurs and Champagnes to over 65 countries around the world,
- a premier supplier (Speciality Drinks) of premium whiskies, spirits and champagnes to the most prestigious UK on-trade venues
- 3 flagship stores, ideally located in Central London, bringing a shop window to TWE website with an extensive variety of products on shelf, expert advice and services (Click & Collect, masterclasses, trainings, tastings, …)
- the most trusted dealer of old & rare spirits to collectors, investors, spirit connoisseurs and corporates
- one of the leading online auction players (Whisky.auction) in a fast-growing secondary market for whiskies, other spirits and wines
- an event team organizing the UK's leading whisky, Champagne, Cognac and rum shows, opportunities to share a passion for spirits and educate customers through recognized events bringing together brands, collectors and spirits lovers.