The Whisky Exchange
Park Royal, London
Apply by 08 August 2021
If you think you have what it takes, please contact us now at [email protected]
About The Whisky Exchange
The Whisky Exchange (TWE) is a family business founded in 1999, and has since grown to be the internet’s number-one specialist retailer of whisky and other spirits, serving thousands of satisfied customers every week.
Job Title: Deputy Editor – The Whisky Exchange
Department: Marketing & PR
Line Manager: Editor
Executive Reporting Line Manager: Business Development Director
Contract Term: Permanent, Full-time
Contracted Hours: Monday to Friday 9am-6pm. This equates to a 40-hour working week.
A high degree of flexibility is required for this role to meet business needs
Overview of Speciality Drinks Group
Founded in 1999, we were one of the first multi-channel, multi-market global drinks distributors and remain leaders in our field. Our retail arm The Whisky Exchange operates a multi-award-winning website selling over 5000 whiskies, spirits, liqueurs and Champagnes to over 65 countries around the world. We also have 3 flagship stores in central London.
We have a division that creates brands and distributes them around the world; another division that wholesales to the finest bars, restaurants and hotels; we boast an industry-leading auction site. We organise the UK's leading whisky, Champagne, Cognac & rum shows. We pride ourselves on our imagination, creativity and ability to source and sell fantastic spirits from across the globe.
Being part of the Speciality Drinks Group means you’ll be working with some of the very best people in the drinks industry and be part of a fast-growing team that is passionate about everything we do. We’re a family-owned and managed business and look after everything in-house – from website development, design and marketing to technology, customer service and global distribution.
Overall objectives of the role
As part of the editorial team, you will be responsible for producing engaging, clear, on-brand and SEO-optimised copy across all marketing channels, notably online for our website, but also print and online advertising, packaging, POS, direct mail, catalogues, and social media. You will work primarily for The Whisky Exchange but also for other areas of the Speciality Drinks Group, creating copy that builds the brand personality, inspires new and existing customers and helps drive sales.
You will liaise closely with the marketing, creative, technical, and buying departments, and will be responsible for overseeing the briefing, copywriting, and timely delivery of all key day-to-day activity and campaigns for The Whisky Exchange. You will liaise with our SEO agency to ensure that content is SEO optimised, and you will assist with SEO projects across the website.
This is a position for a passionate writer who can produce interesting and original content to a high quality, combining creativity with a keen attention to detail. They will be responsible for the accuracy and quality of their work and will be required on occasions to proof the work of others to ensure it meets the same standards.
You must be able to write copy for a wide range of different audiences across a great variety of subjects and products, with differing objectives. You will need a level of expertise and understanding of the whisky, spirits and wine industry that enables you to write effectively for both those who are new to the category and also for connoisseurs.
Copy will be required, as appropriate, to sell, generate interest, inform, amuse, educate, entertain, or provoke debate. This is a key role in the development of the reputation and commercial success of The Whisky Exchange that will focus on both our existing and new customers.
We’re looking for an individual with a flair for b2c e-commerce who shares our passion for excellence and innovation, and a high level of engagement with the world of whisky, spirits and wine. In return, we offer an exciting, varied environment with the opportunity to be at the heart of creating a world-leading drinks business.
- Editorial team
- Marketing & PR team
- Creative team
- Technical team
- Speciality Drinks Trade team
- Whisky.Auction team
- Elixir Distillers team
Primary duties and responsibilities
- Work with the Editorial and Marketing teams to establish a distinctive, creative, and engaging tone of voice and personality for The Whisky Exchange and other key business areas. Write in a way that appeals to our target customers, clearly differentiates us from our competitors and is applied consistently across each customer touchpoint.
- Manage the team in the editor’s absence, ensuring that deadlines are met and proofreading, project management and copy assistance are provided where needed.
- Responsible for writing short and long copy for website pages, digital activations, product and seasonal campaigns, new products, POS materials, blog posts or magazine entries, customer communications, brochures, adverts and PR.
- Write copy for a wide range of different audiences across a great variety of subjects and products, with differing objectives. Copy will be required, as appropriate, to sell, generate interest, inform, amuse, educate, entertain, or provoke debate.
- Ensure that copy is, wherever appropriate, SEO optimised. Manage projects, as required, that address SEO improvements across different brand websites.
- Ensure all messaging is consistent with the brand values and personality of each business area so that the brand identity and story of The Whisky Exchange and other key business areas is developed and reinforced.
- Manage discreet content projects from conception to completion, ensuring briefing and delivery is in line with agreed brand strategy and deadlines, and key stakeholders are successfully consulted and managed.
Assist the Marketing and PR & Communications teams in creating and executing plans that build the respective brands, generate sales and drive customers to each business area
- Proof and amend writing from inside and outside the department to ensure it meets appropriate standards and house style.
This role contains a large potential for development and progression in the fields of marketing and content strategy.
Essential skills and knowledge
- At least three years of experience of working in a copywriting role for digital platforms
- Outstanding written communication skills with an ability to adapt tone and style to different brands, audiences, and objectives
- Whisky, spirits and wine knowledge essential
- Excellent attention to detail and grammatical skills
- Experience writing effective SEO-optimised content
- Creativity and imagination with an eye for design in relation to digital communications
- Customer-focused approach
- An ability to think, work and write quickly and creatively
- Excellent verbal communication skills and collaborative style of working
- Equally at home working independently or as part of a team
- Project and time management skills
- Ability to plan and execute projects to meet required deadlines, while remaining calm under pressure
- Enjoy working in a fast-paced environment
- Demonstrate a pro-active, can-do attitude
- Microsoft Office: Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- A passion for the drinks industry
- Strong organisational skills
- Robust time management
- Self-motivated and results-driven
- Flexible, reliable and hardworking
- Strategic and creative thinking
- Able to communicate effectively and a team player
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Well-presented and professional
Due to business requirements, it is expected that you will need to have a high degree of flexibility in order to meet the demands of the role. Therefore, it may be necessary to work out of normal working hours due to the nature of the projects, and in order to meet the necessary demands of the business. The role holder must be able to adjust to a broad and fluid set of tasks as requirements change in this progressive company.
A training plan will encompass the following to ensure the effectiveness of the employee, and to meet our safety standards:
- Manual handling
- In-house systems