The Whisky Exchange
Old & Rare Spirits Buyer
Park Royal, London
Apply by 24 June 2021
If you think you have what it takes, please contact us now at [email protected]
About The Whisky Exchange
The Whisky Exchange (TWE) is a family business founded in 1999, and has since grown to be the internet’s number-one specialist retailer of whisky and other spirits, serving thousands of satisfied customers every week.
Job Title: Old & Rare Spirits Buyer
Department: Old & Rare Spirits Team
Executive Reporting Line Manager: Director
Contract Term: Permanent
Contracted Hours: Monday to Friday 9am – 6pm. This equates to a 40 hour working week, a high degree of flexibility is required in this role.
Overview of Speciality Drinks Group
Speciality Drinks is a fast-growing and world-renowned international spirits company. Founded in 1999, we were one of the first multi-channel, multi-market global drinks distributors and remain leaders in our field.
We’re looking for bright, motivated, passionate and driven people who share our passion for excellence, innovation and delivering great customer service. In return we can offer an exciting, fast-moving, varied environment with great opportunities to develop your career.
The Whisky Exchange (TWE) part of the group is the world’s leading drinks specialist. Old & rare whisky and fine spirits are a key part of the business and TWE is one of the most authoritative players in this field, selling online, through its shops and to private clients.
Overall objective of role
This is an exciting opportunity to join our old and rare team. You must have a good understanding of the whisky category and an interest in old and rare whiskies and fine spirits.
Our company is the largest seller of premium spirits in the UK and across the globe. We buy directly from the main suppliers in the UK, and to support this we buy old and rare products through a multitude of channels around the world. As we are a key player in this market we must keep a good stock holding, and as such we are investing in acquiring the right bottles at the right price, always looking into the future and at market trends.
The team currently consists of three people, including a private client sales manager based in Hong Kong.
You will work alongside the current buyer and learn all aspects of old and rare buying including but not limited to:
- What defines highly collectable bottles.
- What makes old whisky & spirits so special.
- Market trends in terms of what are the bottles of the future.
- All elements of identifying fakes.
- Being regularly involved in sampling very special old liquid.
You will be buying from a variety of sources from around the world, and will therefore need a high degree of flexibility to work at odd hours and sometimes on weekends. (When working overtime, you will be compensated with time off in lieu.)
Duties and responsibilities
Work closely with your Line Manager to understand requirements of the business on Old & Rare purchasing and pricing.
Checking the product requirements of the sales teams.
Finding required bottles from a variety of sources from around the world.
Assessing purchase prices.
Assessing future trends and market analysis.
Scheduling auctions calendar.
Building strong relationships with dealers/contacts.
Quality control: Checking item condition (e.g. leakage, assessing for fakes, etc).
Liaising with Showroom Team and Warehouse Team when receiving goods.
Helping to curate Whisky Show:Old & Rare.
Liaising with accounts to make sure all payment for purchases are done on time.
Ensuring due diligence is carried out on all new suppliers prior to buying.
Supporting the auction team with valuable insights, assisting team members in checking and identifying fake bottles.
Buying from walk-in seller/private-customers, following company due diligence and standard procedures.
Liaising with Finance Team to ensure payments are issued on time.
Organising and scheduling shipments from the UK and overseas.
Import delivery schedules.
Old & Rare Team
Old & Rare Showroom / Warehouse
Key skills and Knowledge
- Exceptional organisational skills.
- Flexibility to work weekends and evenings when required.
- Ability to work independently.
- The ability to multi-task and prioritise in a time-sensitive environment.
- Clear, calm mindset with a strategic and focussed work ethic.
- Excellent attention to detail when collating large amounts of information.
- Impeccable written and verbal communication skills.
- A passion for events and the drinks industry.
- Whisky and premium spirits experience from retail or events.
- A passion for old & rare spirits.
- Spirits, liqueur knowledge and wine knowledge.
- Good presentation skills.
Qualifications and Experience
- Numerate and literate.
- PC/IT literate, confident on MS software; excel (intermediate), word, power point, email.
- Strong organisational skills.
- Self-motivated and results driven.
- Flexible, reliable and hardworking.
- Able to communicate well with others and strong interpersonal skills.
- Commercially astute.
- Presentable and professional at all times.