The Whisky Exchange
Shop Assistant Manager
Apply by 21 May 2021
If you think you have what it takes, please contact us now at [email protected]
About The Whisky Exchange
The Whisky Exchange (TWE) is a family business founded in 1999, and has since grown to be the internet’s number-one specialist retailer of whisky and other spirits, serving thousands of satisfied customers every week.
Job Title: Assistant Manager
Line Manager: Store Manager
Contract Term: Permanent
Contracted Hours: 40hrs/week, 5 days in 7
A high degree of flexibility is required for this role
Overall Objective of Role
Do you have an interest in the drinks trade? Are you keen to develop your knowledge and expertise in a booming industry? Whether your tipple of choice is wine, spirits or real ale, The Whisky Exchange covers it all. We are a multiple award-winning drinks retailer with an outstanding reputation for range, quality, and able to deliver outstanding customer journeys.
As an Assistant Manager your primary role is to support the Store Manager in all administrative tasks relating to the shop operations, including back office administration, stock management, driving the team forward, liaising with brands owners/suppliers, and overseeing the training and development. The ideal candidate is a first-class communicator with a passion for drinks and an eagerness to learn, with a proven record for managing teams.
THE ROLE INVOLVES MOVING, STRETCHING, LIFTING, BENDING AND CARRYING OF BOXES AND MATERIALS.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
Operations and Floor Management
- Responsible for opening, closing and end-of-day procedures
- Weekly banking management and sales performance reports
- Organizing corporate and private tasting events, and anticipating potential requirements
- Customer service, sales and shop floor activities as required to maintain exceptional standards
- Ensuring all health and safety requirements are met and making corrections where necessary
- Prepare and distribute weekly/monthly tasks and DLC to other sales advisors
- Monitor and motivate other sales advisors to work towards store targets
- Maximizing shopper engagement
- Maintaining exceptional customer service standards
- Assisting with product knowledge development of other team members
- Regular staff appraisals and performance reviews
- Arranging product training sessions with suppliers
Stock and Merchandising
- Placing orders, ranging and tracking sales
- Assist with back office operations including stock management, pricing and offers
- Ensure that retail and stock room spaces are maintained to professional standard
- Monitoring, replacing and updating visual merchandising displays
Product Knowledge and Personal Development
- Continual development of product awareness and understanding for new and existing ranges
- Liaising with brand representatives as required
- Supporting a culture of continuous improvement
Key skills and knowledge
- Previous management experience.
- Passion for spirits, and the drinks industry in general.
- Excellent communication and ability to manage a small, dynamic team
- Strong sales track record and able to transfer skills to the drinks sector
- Natural problem solver
- Effective communication skills and ability to enthuse and motivate others.
- Ability to effectively prioritise and delegate tasks
- Exceptional attention to detail
- Solid working knowledge of Microsoft Office suite
- Must have flexibility to work shift patterns during weekdays and weekends
- Fluent written and spoken English
- Professional manner and tidy appearance
- Previous experience in the drinks industry is desirable but not essential
A training plan will encompass the following to ensure effectiveness of the employee, and to meet our safety standards:
- Fire Safety training
- First Aid training
- Personal License
- Manual Handling
Health & Safety Responsibilities
Act in accordance with the relevant Health & Safety policies and procedures, adhering to legislative compliance and company requirements.